Energy-related projects/tasks include the following:
- Establishing regular electrical supply from utility agencies for variety of facilities.
- Establishing temporary power supply activities to allow continuous operation of existing facilities during construction of improvements at existing facilities.
- Establishing emergency/standby electrical generation through diesel and gas operated generators.
- Establishing electrical power generation through hydro-turbines and generators.
Regular Electrical Supply:
Designing regular electrical supply from the utility agencies is performed for most of the infrastructures designed by Perliter & Ingalsbe. These include pump stations, storage reservoirs, buildings, vaults, control stations, and in some cases pipelines. Electrical supply involves 120/240VAC, 480VAC, and 4160VAC service lines from the utility agency, associated transformers, switchgears, panelboard, protective relays, conduits, and wires.
Typical scope of preliminary work includes coordination with utility agency and determining required electrical load and service voltage, service line route, agency requirements, and locations of substation and equipment.
Temporary Electrical Power Supply:
Temporary power supply system design is provided for existing facilities requiring continuous operation of components and controls during facility improvements. Such temporary systems include diesel generators or electrical power supply from utility company.
Typical scope of preliminary work includes determining required electrical load and service voltage, type of supply source (diesel generator or utility company), service line route, agency requirements, and sizes and locations of equipment.
Emergency/Standby Electrical Power Generation:
Emergency/standby power supply system is considered for critical facilities that need to remain operational during power outages. Emergency power system components may include diesel (or gas) generator(s), electrical switchboard, paralleling switchgear, generator controller, automatic transfer switch, fuel system, fuel cleaning and recirculating system, sound attenuating devices, exhaust system, and building/enclosure.
Perliter & Ingalsbe has been involved in design of many emergency/standby power systems ranging in size from one 30KW unit to multiple 3,000 KW units at a site for water districts and cities. Typical scope of preliminary work includes determining required electrical load and service voltage, sizes of generator and electrical equipment, operation strategies, controls, and facility layout.
Hydroelectric Power Generation:
When water with excess energy is available within water distribution systems, opportunities arise to harness such excess energy to generate electrical power. Hydroelectric power generation systems generally include hydro-turbine (Francis and Kalpan types), electrical generator, piping, valves, electrical switchboard, NGO meter, transformer, and building/enclosure.
Perliter & Ingalsbe has designed several hydroelectric power generation stations ranging in size from 200KW to ??? KW. Typical scope of preliminary work includes performing feasibility study and economic analysis to determine whether the project is viable or not and its payback period. Once it is determined that the project is feasible and economically viable, preliminary design is performed to determine type and size of hydro-turbine, service voltage, size of generator and electrical equipment, operation strategies, controls, and facility layout.
Typical Engineering Services:
The following presents descriptions of engineering services provided by our firm for many of our pump station and similar projects.
- Planning and Preliminary Design:
- As mentioned above for each type of project.
- Acquiring detailed survey maps
- Obtain site specific geotechnical and geo-seismic reports
- Design of electrical system, instrumentation and controls
- Design of mechanical components, including piping, valves, and other required equipment
- Structural design of buildings, vaults, retaining walls, and other similar structures
- Site development including grading, drainage, access roads, security, fencing, etc.
- Temporary traffic control
- Landscaping and irrigation system
- Preparation of Drawings, Specifications, and Cost Estimate
- Coordination with Vendors, Utility Agencies, and Permitting Authorities
- Construction Services:
- Supporting the bidding process
- Reviewing and approving shop drawing submittals
- Providing interpretations of the drawings and specifications
- Responding to contractor's RFIs
- Resident construction observation
- Coordinating and evaluating requests for change orders
- Conducting pre-construction and progress meetings
- Review of schedules and partial pay estimates
- Material testing
- Assisting during start-up and testing
- Preparing record drawings
Example Projects (click for details):
- Standby Diesel Generators at Grandsen Pump Station
- Conejo Standby Diesel Generators
- Springville Hydro Generator
- Hydro Power Generators at Grandsen Pump Station
- Portable Diesel Generators for Pump Stations
- Emergency Power Requirement Study